The Primary Years Programme is designed for ages 3-12. It frames all learning activities throughout the school community, integrating itself within and around the North Carolina Standard Course of Study requirements. In addition to meeting North Carolina and federal requirements, schools offering the IB Programme must meet strict guidelines and evaluation by the International Baccalaureate Organization ® in order to attain and maintain authorization as an IB school.
As part of the IB authorization requirements, Smith offers instruction in a second language. Students receive instruction in Spanish two times per week.
The IB Primary Years Programme:
- Encourages international-mindedness in IB students, developing global thinkers
- Encourages a positive attitude to learning by engaging students in inquiries and developing their awareness of the process of learning so that they can become lifelong learners
- Reflects real life by encouraging learning beyond traditional subjects with meaningful, in-depth inquiries into real life issues based on the Transdisciplinary Themes
- Emphasizes, through the IB Learner Profile, the development of the whole student – physically, intellectually, emotionally, and ethically
Download a PDF overview of the IB PYP Programme.
Read detailed information about the PYP Programme on the IBO website at http://www.ibo.org/pyp/.
- Transdisciplinary Themes
- IB Learner Profile and Attitudes
- IB Partnership: Pre-K to 12th Grade
- Global Connections and Continuing Education